Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Meeting In May??

5 posters

Go down

A Meeting In May?? Empty A Meeting In May??

Post  Mocki Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 am

Is there going to be a May meeting? I'm Joy and I came to March's meeting with my teens... not sure if anyone remembers me but I would love to come to another meeting. My Angel Tank is now a 55 gallon and it's been running for a month with no fish. I would love to put some in it but I have so many questions Smile before I make that jump.
Mocki
Mocki

Back to top Go down

A Meeting In May?? Empty Re: A Meeting In May??

Post  RainingReason112358 Thu May 03, 2012 12:09 pm

There will be a May meeting just waiting for the date!!!! What questions do you have about the angle tank? I will be bringing some koi angles to the meeting for raffle prizes!!! There are several people here that can answer your questions!!!
RainingReason112358
RainingReason112358

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Thu May 03, 2012 1:38 pm

It looks like the meeting will be on the 20th. I am still working on the location.

twocat

Back to top Go down

A Meeting In May?? Empty my questions

Post  Mocki Thu May 03, 2012 3:31 pm

I had plattys in the tank for a week... SO I went against better judgement and got 2 small angels from Petco in Normal today. I also got 3 albino platties so the angels wouldn't be alone. I was wondering if I could transfer some of my duckweed from my smaller community tank into the bigger tank for fresh live plant life to start off with? Or is it a bad thing to switch things between tanks? And I also did my water exchange for the big tank about 1 week ago. Is that alright? I hope so... in the end I guess I will wait and see... crossing my fingers though. Does anyone know of a good tank heater brand? Maybe a better grade then others? I need a new one for the big tank.

Thank you all

Joy
Mocki
Mocki

Back to top Go down

A Meeting In May?? Empty Koi Angels?

Post  Mocki Thu May 03, 2012 3:33 pm

I did a bit of research for the Koi's Beautiful! I can't wait to see them in person.

Does anyone know of a good site with color pics that I can research on maybe getting the types of angels I want in the tank? I really don't know much about them other then I love their looks and I really want to do this right.
Mocki
Mocki

Back to top Go down

A Meeting In May?? Empty My new Angels

Post  Mocki Thu May 03, 2012 3:42 pm

What really upset me about Petco is they have their angels in a tank and it's only labeled with Assorted Angels.... so in the end I picked out the prettiest brightest colored two and the ones with the best fins. I now have two new babies and I wish I knew the type of angel they are. I've been looking online and the best I can come up with is the black and silver striped one could be a marbled? the other one has tiny pinstripes of black and gold on a silver back drop of main body... very pretty though. Maybe I could bring pics on my phone and someone can tell me by looking at them during the meeting next time?
Mocki
Mocki

Back to top Go down

Post  RainingReason112358 Thu May 03, 2012 6:51 pm

You can change plant's and what not around just make sure all the tanks are pest and disease free!!! As for heater's Hydro makes a pretty nice heater and at a fair price you can get a 300w from Meier ($32) or order it on amazon ($29) a little cheaper but you have to wait!! Here are a couple of Angel fish sites.... Angelfishusa.com Mellowaquatics.com and Angelsplus.com probably the best one!!! Just remember the colors on these fish has a lot to do with the food they are being fed so to keep this color you will need to use the same food the are eating now!!!

Also I would say if you have the Angel itch check out Sam @ Marine Aquatics!! (Just got 2 Green Leopards) Most of the time he has really nice Angels and they are all marked or he will tell you about them!! I would not buy a fish from petco on a bet!!! Try Sam or Premium Pet Supply!!! Also you can order fish through DavidZ and they look great, cheap, and have a lot less problems the the fish you get @ the pet shops!!!
RainingReason112358
RainingReason112358

Back to top Go down

A Meeting In May?? Empty should have followed my instincts

Post  Mocki Thu May 03, 2012 9:44 pm

They are never wrong I had a bad feeling when I got them at Petco... just hope they do alright they seem to be good so far.
Mocki
Mocki

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Fri May 04, 2012 7:38 pm

also joy there are a couple of us in the group that breed angels. ive found its much better/safer to buy direct from the breeders rather than from the farms. myself and mark i know are currently breeding different types. just something to consider
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Fri May 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Adams angels are much nicer looking then mine are and they are a good price.

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Fri May 04, 2012 8:00 pm

thanks for the complement sir, but i wouldn't say that
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

A Meeting In May?? Empty :(

Post  Mocki Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 pm

Well my pretty little black marbled one just passed away... the pinstriped one is tilting down then swimming funny so I don't know if he will make the night. the tetras are fine... I don't know what I did wrong? the water is still testing out fine. Just did it an hour ago....and thanks for the tips guys. I will hopefully be able to make the meeting this month and maybe I can buy some good ones from you both to get me started? I would love a pair of black,a pair of koi maybe and a few others too. Now I have to take back the angel or angels tomorrow to Petco...I think I will be getting my money back and NOT investing in angels there anymore.
Mocki
Mocki

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldman Sat May 05, 2012 12:47 am

Take them back. My local Petco went out of business because they were that bad at fish care. A local breeder is always a better source of almost any stock. A fish at Petco has been thorough a lot. It started out, most likely, on a fish farm in Indonesia or a similar place, it traveled to a local place where orders were assembled for shipment to your local fish store, then it boarded an airplane and spent a day in the air. Finally it arrived at an airport in the US and may or may not have been at the right time of day for an inspection. If at the wrong time, it probably sat around the airport for another day and then was inspected for admission to the US. Finally, with a pass from the inspector, it was picked up by a shipper who moved it to the Petco the next day. Now sit down and add up how long it was in that darned fish bag. I figure a best case is a week but often it is more. Now add up the time from a local breeder. You see something you like and bring it home the same day. Need I really say much more?

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Sat May 05, 2012 7:01 am

Mocki
I will be gone for most of the day but if you let me know what time you are comming into town and are willing to swing by my house I will have a bag of fish waiting on my porch for you.

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

A Meeting In May?? Empty coming to town this afternoon

Post  Mocki Sun May 06, 2012 12:09 pm

It's Sunday and I will be headed into Normal around 2 pm. if you would like you can give me a call and let me know your address Smile I would love to come pick them up. 815-250-9082
Mocki
Mocki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down