Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Low light plants/severums

2 posters

Go down

Low light plants/severums Empty Low light plants/severums

Post  nemoose Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:59 pm

I have never had a really well planted tank since I have had mostly cichlds, which destroy plants as fast as you put them in, lol. But, I just got 3 very nice gold severums ( thanks Mark) and would like to add some plants to my tank. I have one large java fern and one that I dont know what it is . Told you I was a serious plant noob. It is rather small and darker color leaves than the java. But the leaves are similar sword shape. I have one flourescent tube on a 30 long with a 5500K daylight t8 bulb. What kind of plants would grow well and get failrly large with that lighting? I do have a ten gallon size 2 bulb t5 light I could add onto the tank if needed, Also, my ph is close to 7.8 even with driftwood and plants. Will the severums breed with that ph?
nemoose
nemoose

Back to top Go down

Low light plants/severums Empty Re: Low light plants/severums

Post  jikin junkie Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Thought I'd mention this, Severum or Heros severus, are actually cichlids and they will eat your plants. Maybe not at first, and maybe not all typesl, but the ones I used to keep devoured plants. Also they can get up to 12" so be prepared for a large tank. Nice fish but not for planted tanks.
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  nemoose Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Ok thats good to know. Maybe I will hold off on adding a lot of plants then. TY
nemoose
nemoose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content