Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted: Info on any local breeders for African Cichlids

+2
jikin junkie
ftrjeff
6 posters

Go down

Wanted: Info on any local breeders for African Cichlids Empty Wanted: Info on any local breeders for African Cichlids

Post  ftrjeff Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Does anyone know of anyone local that breeds africans? I got a new tank about a year ago to replace my 90 gallon oscar tank, went with africans this time and it has stabilized nicely, but I have been having trouble finding fish I like locally, or that are just not outrageously overpriced. Anyone have any connections? I know there was a guy that used to live in normal that bred them (I got my 90 gallon from him well over a decade ago) but have been able to get any tips from people. Thanks for any info!

ftrjeff

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Info on any local breeders for African Cichlids Empty Re: Wanted: Info on any local breeders for African Cichlids

Post  jikin junkie Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:40 pm

You could go the the fish auction in Champaign on Sat. July 7th. The are usually bags of nice African cichlids, a lot of that you can't find at the local pet stores. Also you might find some local breeders there. Very Happy
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Info on any local breeders for African Cichlids Empty Re: Wanted: Info on any local breeders for African Cichlids

Post  SeanSS Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Me Me!

Im from Champaign and had one heck of a setup going.
We are in the middle of a move so im selling off fish at the moment.

Ive got Sunshine and German Red fry available, have got a few adult fish for sale as well.
PM me if you are interested in hearing more.

At one point in time only a few months ago, i had 17 different species of african's alive, kickin and reproducing.
In about 2 or so more months i'll be firing everything back up, buying fish and breeding again.
SeanSS
SeanSS

Back to top Go down

Post  ftrjeff Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:56 am

thanks for the replys and PMs so far. Even though champaign is not really that far, when you factor in $25 in gas, it is not super economical to purchase a couple of fish. Still hope to find someone in the bloomington/normal metro, but PM me when you get up an running again...maybe I can make a combo trip if you have something I want. Thanks again everyone!

ftrjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  SeanSS Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:55 am

Oh, alrighty.

Well goodluck finding good looking and healthy fish closer then Champaign.

Ive had several people come from the Jacksonville area, St louis area, Chicago area, few from Wisconsin and Indiana.
SeanSS
SeanSS

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 am

Could the fish be picked up at one of the club meetings?

twocat

Back to top Go down

Post  SeanSS Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:22 am

My Fish? Of course.
SeanSS
SeanSS

Back to top Go down

Post  pacman5038 Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:53 pm

I know a guy in Lincoln IL that has about 75 tanks running if you would like his info just let me know.
pacman5038
pacman5038

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:24 pm

just keep your eyes open when buying in lincoln. just an fyi...
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  SeanSS Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:01 pm

pacman5038 wrote:I know a guy in Lincoln IL that has about 75 tanks running if you would like his info just let me know.

Mike or his buddy Randy?

If you could pass the info along to me, that would be great.
SeanSS
SeanSS

Back to top Go down

Post  ftrjeff Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Thanks again everyone, SeanSS...nice that you come up to Bloomington for the meetings, I just signed up for some information so far gotten some good info. I was not saying your fish are not "worth" the drive to champaign...I have never seen them, but I am not at the stage where I go and spend a lot of money on my fish...I know if I spend $25 on gas and buy a pair of fish for $15 (which to me would be a reasonable price for a couple of nice fish), that is $20 per fish...my wife would have my head lol.

adowns99 wrote:just keep your eyes open when buying in lincoln. just an fyi...

I have never bought any fish in Lincoln...I did see someone awhile back on aquabid that was from Lincoln...kinda actually piqued my interested in getting back into the hobby, but if there are no fish currently for sale from him after a search for Illinois, so maybe he is out of the business. If I should be avoiding Lincoln for a reason, feel free to PM me info if you don't want to post it.

Thanks again for the help everyone

ftrjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  SeanSS Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:20 pm

Honestly i dont know what you are expecting out of a pair of cichlids for $15. Not sure if your just looking for any african cichlids
or your trying to put together a show tank with good looking fish.

But expect to pay for good quality fish. Your not going to find much out there for $15 for a pair that looks good enough for a show tank.

Just sayin..

Happy 4th!
SeanSS
SeanSS

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down