Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reverse Osmosis Filters

3 posters

Go down

Reverse Osmosis Filters  Empty Reverse Osmosis Filters

Post  twocat Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:03 am

Is anyone using these or no someone I could talk to about these systems?

twocat

Back to top Go down

Reverse Osmosis Filters  Empty ro

Post  pops48 Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 am

I use an do unit for all my fish water. Mine is a system modeled from a Tropical Fish Hobbyist article a few years ago. If you subscribe to the magazine you could archive the article on the web. I'd be happy to share what I know. My unit is supposed to have a 50 gallon per day capacity but only does about 25. Probably needs a pressure boost. RO units shunted about twice as much water waste as is produced so some people don't use them. They do make very pure water with a low pH and no hardness. You end up adding chemicals to match your needs. Let me know if I can help. Pops

pops48

Back to top Go down

Reverse Osmosis Filters  Empty Re: Reverse Osmosis Filters

Post  Oldman Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:06 pm

I have an RO installed at my kitchen sink. It serves me well for things like the water that I use for making coffee but I also use it for top off water for my tanks. As long as you are only making up for evaporation, an RO makes sense as a makeup source. Since evaporation removes no minerals from the tank, you want the makeup water to also have no mineral content. An RO provides a close approximation of that with only about 5% of the tap water minerals being retained and 95% being removed. If you install an RO/DI, you can get even purer water but the DI resin needs to be replaced far more often than an RO membrane would.

Oldman

Back to top Go down

Reverse Osmosis Filters  Empty Re: Reverse Osmosis Filters

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down