Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mechanical Filter Material

3 posters

Go down

Mechanical Filter Material Empty Mechanical Filter Material

Post  danr Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:37 pm

I build a 2 stage sump filtration system. I am trying to find a good material for the mechanical stage of said filter right now i have some filter fiber similar to this Petco Filter Fiber However, I like its filtration abilities however it it nearly impossible to clean it just separates. I also have a foam insert I believe it is designed for a aquaclear filter Petco Foam Filter It works acceptably. What does everyone else use?

Thanks
Dan

My Stage 2 consists of bioballs and ceremics biorings, right now there is no chemical filtration going to try without this portion.

danr

Back to top Go down

Mechanical Filter Material Empty Re: Mechanical Filter Material

Post  DavidZ Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 am

I use a material similiar to this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AIR-HANDLER-Filter-Media-Roll-4WZ67?Pid=search

It filters well and washes a few times if you are gentle with it.

Probably getting another roll this month sometime.
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

https://citac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Mechanical Filter Material Empty filter media

Post  egbar guppies Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:12 pm

I purchase polyester sheets used as quilt filler. It comes in varying sizes and thicknesses. It holds its shape and can be cut with household scissors into lengths to enclose charcoal, resin or other media within (think tacos)before you insert it in the filter. It does not tear apart like the floss types but does just fine at filtering fine gunk out of the tank. i use it for my side hanging filters and have done so now for years with no problems.

egbar guppies

Back to top Go down

Post  danr Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 am

egbar guppies wrote:I purchase polyester sheets used as quilt filler. It comes in varying sizes and thicknesses. It holds its shape and can be cut with household scissors into lengths to enclose charcoal, resin or other media within (think tacos)before you insert it in the filter. It does not tear apart like the floss types but does just fine at filtering fine gunk out of the tank. i use it for my side hanging filters and have done so now for years with no problems.
thank you for the great idea i went to joann fabric and got 1 yard by 4ft of pretty thick stuff i then took a current hob filter cartridge and measured it out cut the polyester and sewed it together put some carbon inside it works amazing and cheap as can be Mechanical Filter Material 20130111

danr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down