Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carbon Block Filters

3 posters

Go down

Carbon Block Filters Empty Carbon Block Filters

Post  AlexW. Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:54 am

I was just reading TFH from October 2012, and an article on setting up a fishroom said that you can filter out chlorine and chloramine using a carbon block filter. I could see advantages and disadvantages to it. To me it would be nice not to have to worry about if Normal adds extra chloramine. With chemical treatment you are still adding the chlorine and chloramine to the system they are just either bonded to other chemicals or broken down into something else. Filtration would remove it entirely. The disadvantage I see is that I would think it would also filter out trace elements the fish and plants want. Has anyone tried this, if so how well does it work for you?
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Carbon Block Filters Empty Re: Carbon Block Filters

Post  twocat Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 pm

I have never tried it but If you let your water set for a day or two that will also work.

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Does that work, I have heard it only works for chlorine, and that chloramine doesn't offgas? I don't remeber where I heard that, it could have been from someone trying to sell me treatment chemicals.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:43 pm

OK I did a litle research and it says that chloramine will offgas, but it takes much longer. What I read said that the halflife (amount of time for the concentration to be reduced by half) in boiling water is 1.8 hours for chlorine, and 26.6 hours for chlorimine. If you use the Navy's definition of removal this would mean 5x halflife which is 9 hours for chlorine, and 133 hours for chloramine if you tried to boil it off. Since most of us won't boil it off I ratio'd it out. If you let chlorinated water sit for 24 hours you would need to let chloramine water sit for 14.8 days to reach an equivalent reduction if the offgasing remains true at less than boiling.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Carbon Block Filters Empty Carbon

Post  jikin junkie Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Carbon absorbs ammonia, medicine, trace elements that plant and shrimp use. I cannot find what trace elements exactly but I imagine iron and any other metal. It supposedly removes chlorine and chloramine but just how much or how fast is the question. I have also been told that if I run carbon filters I would not have to treat water with chlorine remover. I do not feel brave enough to test that out.
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Carbon Block Filters Empty carbon

Post  jikin junkie Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Also what doesn't make sense is that if it absorbs trace elements that shrimp need, then why do they sell carbon tubes for shrimp homes? Suspect
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:32 am

The way the article was talking about it you could run it through the carbon filter to filter out chlorine and chloramine and put the output directly in the tank. It was in a part of the article talking about an automated fill system. It seems kind of wild to me, but maybe its not so out there.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down