Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C.A.R.E.S.

3 posters

Go down

C.A.R.E.S. Empty C.A.R.E.S.

Post  AlexW. Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm

I was just wondering if anyone is interested in the C.A.R.E.S. program. I know some of you are keeping fish on the species list, but I didn't know if there was a formal program around or any interest in one. I think it would be cool, but then I would have to get moving on setting up the fish room. Maybe this could be the impetus to finally get it going.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

C.A.R.E.S. Empty Re: C.A.R.E.S.

Post  DavidZ Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Alex,

For thoes of us who don't know, can you post something about this program?

Thanks.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

https://citac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Sure.

C.A.R.E.S. stands for Conservation, Awareness, Recognition, Encouragement, Support. It is basically a program by which people who dedicate tank space to the preservation of endangered species of freshwater fish. Essentially you agree to try to breed and distribute amongst friends and club members fish that are endangered in the wild. The idea being that if the natural habitat is ever restored to the point of being able to support the fish again they may be able to be reintroduced. I think that idea is a little far fetched myself because over generations of captive breeding there is bound to be a little genetic drift not to mention the logistics of getting the fish back to the wild environment, but I do think that from a practical viewpoint it allows hobbyists to maintain strains of fish for themselves and future generations that can no longer be collected in the wild. It also encourages sharing information on breeding these species which is always something I favor. It is essentially a breeder awards program(BAP), but only for endangered species.

the website is:
http://www.carespreservation.com/introduction.html

The list of species is found here:
http://www.carespreservation.com/priority_list.html

We can join as a club, or as individuals. I was curious to see if any club members would be interested. We could get our feet wet by all trying one species, kind of like the betta contest, then exchanging fish to maintain strong bloodlines, or we could all select a different species then swap so we could all get more than one type of fish.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

C.A.R.E.S. Empty cares

Post  pops48 Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:21 pm

One of our members (Oldman; Gordon) has a couple of species. He might be a good source to start with. Right now he is building a new house (personally with his own hands) so he may be slow to communicate with. Please keep us posted.

pops48

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum