Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aquarium Setup Donation

+3
Gunfighter_357
jikin junkie
DavidZ
7 posters

Go down

Aquarium Setup Donation Empty Aquarium Setup Donation

Post  DavidZ Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Folks,

I saw where Tri-County was getting together an aquarium setup to donate to a child care place and thought that was a good idea.

If you have some equipment, decorations, etc. to donate let me know. Major parts of course, are going to be a stand, tank and hood. If you have a nice wood stand to donate please let me know, we can then determine what size tank we need.

Here's a chance for us to do something as a club, and I hope we all take advantage of the opportunity to get the club's name out there and growing. A large thriving club benefits us all, so if you have got any use out of your association with CITAC, please help us out.

If we can get the club growing, we can have auctions, swaps etc. which also will benefit us all. I know some of you have 1000 Betta's you could sell at an auction! Guppies too.

Cash pledges will also be taken with a report on exactly where every dime went when the project is done.

Hope everyone thinks this is a good idea. Thanks in advance for helping out!!!

Any other ideas to get things growing? Let us know.

Please let me know by Sunday if you have something to donate, or want to make a small ($5) donation.

Thanks again.

DavidZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

https://citac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Setup Donation Empty Donations

Post  jikin junkie Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Who are we donating to?
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Setup Donation Empty Donations

Post  Gunfighter_357 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Who are we donating to.
Is it a Child Care facility being run by the county or something like that or is it a facility being run by somebody for profit ?

If I had a old tank or something I would give it up.

But, let me offer some ideas here.

I recently bought a 55 gal. in a "box". I think I paid $175 ?
Its really not that bad when you set it up.
Tank and a Emperor 400 filter
The lights are LED's. 2 banks of 16 ? LED's
I can't remember if it came with a small air pump or not LOL. I think it did.
There is also a 29 gal in a "box" for I think $85 ish ?

If we went that route then all we would really need is a stand. And from my personal experiance. TV stands work perfect. Have used them several times over the years.

However, If we decide to go other routes...I.E. donations of tank....stand....etc.
I have an extra older air pump I can donate.
Several types of plastic decorations...like stumps..branch kinda things.

I would suggest here though......that we try and stick to something like a 29 or 55. size.
Its been my experaince over the years....the smaller the tank...the harder it is to keep fishies alive. And since this will be in a kids place. Who will be keeping it clean. If we donate this, then we or somebody(s) from the group runs the risk of taking care of it as well. affraid

I would think a nice 29 gal set up. with simple decorations. Nice colorful "swimmy active fish". Guppies...tetras...etc Would be more then sufficient and well received.

Just my $ .50 drunken
Brad
Gunfighter_357
Gunfighter_357

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Setup Donation Empty Re: Aquarium Setup Donation

Post  DavidZ Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:53 pm

It's not been decided who we are donating to. I would think it will be a group decision.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:56 am

I have a few extra decorations, or I can make a modest cash donation. I have that extra internal filter I'd be happy to give... but not sure anyone would want it or it would be the best thing.
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Setup Donation Empty Best recipient concerns, format idea

Post  Katnapper Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:47 pm

I do think the point about who would be taking care of the maintenance of the tank is a valid issue. A "free" tank setup is a worthwhile and great idea; but whoever receives it may not be as excited about it once they realize they need to become informed about the nitrogen cycle and fish requirements, wait to get fish, buy chemicals, test kit, cleaning tools, food, etc. (if all not provided by us), and then have someone knowledgeable and willing to clean and maintain it properly. It's kind of like getting a "free" cat, dog, goat, etc.... it's not really "free" once you've got it.

I think the offer of the tank should somehow address if, or how much, the recipient understands, wants, or intends to maintain it after the initial acquisition. It would be a shame to find out our well-intentioned gift might end up only causing frustration, a time or financial burden in unplanned maintenance costs, or just a neglected mess. In this event, what then would children learn or take away with them about the fish keeping hobby?

Format idea?

Perhaps once, and/or if, we get it all together, we could then format the idea as a contest (?)... with the winner getting the prize of the aquarium setup. We could either individually approach several prospective appropriate organizations of our choosing; or maybe publish the offer via social media, newspaper, or radio outlining our goal (aimed at child care organizations, kids learning about fish, enjoyment and responsibilities of ownership), with the requirements/rules to enter the contest. Maybe we could ask interested parties to submit a short essay on why they want it, and why they would be the best recipient, a description of their plans for the aquarium, and how they think it will benefit or impact their organization. This setup, if realized, would be a modestly substantial prize/gift. I do not think the idea of requiring a short essay for entry is unreasonable. We could then get an idea of who would really be interested, and equipped best to receive it.

There are no guarantees of course, of the journey or outcome with any recipient. But at least something like this might weed out those impulsively jumping on the "free" bandwagon, without giving it due thought and consideration. If we go the social media route, it would also give our club wider exposure.

Last edited by Katnapper on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Perpetual victim of afterthoughts.)
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Setup Donation Empty Gravel

Post  jikin junkie Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:09 pm

I have enough natural colored gravel to fill at least a 55 gallon. I could donate that now and some monetary later.
-G
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:19 pm

When I saw the idea that Tri-County was doing I though it was simple and effective. Get the stuff together and donate it to kids. If anyone wants to take the idea further go ahead.

Other than that, if you can help with this project let me know.

I was thinking Little Jewels or Rogys.

We would need to help them maintain the aquarium, but i figured we could all pitch in to help.

It's just that much more exposure for the club.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  pops48 Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:47 pm

This a good idea. I don't have anything to donate equipment wise but have guppies and bettas. Also when the project is more specific, I can give some$.

pops48

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 pm

thats a long way to drive to maintain a donated tank isnt it? i thought that jackie had said on the tri county yahoo group that it was in peoria? i think i also saw where she said like a 20 tall was the max maybe?
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Adam,

My thought was to do one of our own in the B-N area.

They can do theirs in Peoria.

DZ
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adowns99 Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:12 am

ah gotcha
adowns99
adowns99

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Setup Donation Empty Maintenance?

Post  Katnapper Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:56 pm

I hear you on the simplicity... I didn't mean to throw complications into it. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I guess I'm just not sure about us taking on the maintenance, or how many of us would actually be willing or able to go over and do it (and keep doing it) on a continuing basis. And I'd feel bad if it came down to only one or two people doing it in the end. It would be better if the recipient could, or would be able to do it themselves.

I think it's a great idea and I will donate whatever I can to get the setup together. But I'm not near as excited or comfortable with the prospect of going over and doing water changes, cleaning, maintenance on the filters, or whatever it takes to keep it running smoothly on a long term basis. I'm just now getting used to doing the maintenance on my own two tanks, and I'm still getting frustrated and screwing things up at times. Truthfully, many times I put it off and actually dread it.

It's a major job for me when I do my water changes/cleanings, usually taking 4-5 hours... and that's at home where I have all my water jugs, chemicals, cleaning and filling/draining hoses, test kit, an available sink, and being able to do it on my schedule with no distractions or interference. I'm just balking imagining getting all my stuff together and then dragging it over there, figuring the logistics of vacuuming/draining and re-filling water when I get there, and working around or not interfering with the kids or staff (including them not hindering me), maybe with limited time or resources while I'm there.

Maybe I'm overthinking this part too. But I can't help wondering and worrying about it. I don't want to be a slacker; but I also don't want to give myself or anyone else a headache with it either. How often would someone have to go over and clean or do maintenance on it?
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:39 am

I when I saw Tri-County doing this project I thought it was a great idea to do something nice for kids, and to get our name out in the community.

I see the times when someone has to do the maintenance on the tank as just another opportunity to get our name out and interact with kids and maybe get them interested in the hobby. Doing a water change and filter change on a 20-29 gallon tank doesn’t take that long (1/2 hour?), and if we have 6-8 of us volunteering to do it, you would only have to do it once a year or so.

I’m willing to make that commitment to help the club, however that decision is up to each individual. If I have to do it every month, then so be it.

My main goal here is to get this club growing. No offense to anyone as we have a great nucleus of people in the club now, but sitting around in the library taking about fish is not why I am here. I think the time we have spent there is valuable, but I would like to see more in addition to that.

When I lived in KC, the club there was always having events like swaps, auctions, pet store trips, wholesale fish buys, contests, group supplies buys, community events, guest speakers, picnics, and other things that made it fun and educational. Mark has done great job so far of doing presentations and having contests, and has had a guest or two, but there is so much more we can do with more people.

I’d like to see us doing our own swaps and auctions to give us an profitable outlet for the fish we spawn (extra Bettas and Guppies anyone?), and opportunities to be exposed to more different kinds of fish that we don’t find at the LFS. As I’ve said before, that is the main reason I make the Chicago wholesale trips -because I’ve seen enough neons, I want something new, unusual or different. But to do that, we’re going to need more people to get involved.

Maybe that isn’t going to happen, and that there just isn’t enough interest in B-N to support a club like I imagine. There have been a lot of clubs come and go. My opinion is that if we don’t do awareness generating activities like this tank donation to get awareness out there, we’ll never know for sure who might be interested and we'll be spending a lot of time in the library talking about fish. Crying or Very sad

The club dissolving or not evolving would be a shame as I’m happy to have found other weirdos like me who fill their house with fish tanks. It’s nice to know that you’re not alone. I guess I'm just assuming that others want more from this club like I do.  Shocked

I don’t want to speak for Mark, but I would assume that any ideas to get the clubs name out would be welcomed. This was just something that I thought would help.

DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Maybe going along (to help and observe) with someone during one of the maintenance trips would help ease my fears of it.

I agree that more people, more activities, etc.... would be nice.

I guess the most important thing right now is getting the tank and stand. Any progress yet?

I made up a letter/email we could send to the Pantagraph depending on what you all thought. I thought it might be helpful in getting even more exposure of the project. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see too much exposure except for employees and clients of the child care facility otherwise. I will volunteer to do any write-up or necessary communication with them if needed, if you all think it's worthwhile. Who knows... they might even send a reporter to one of our meetings for the write-up if we asked. I had another version in which I included "3) A contest.... (as the Pantagraph does host/advertise various contests from local businesses)" but I've discarded that idea as I feel now that might be too complicated for our vision. The prospective draft follows. I figure it can't hurt to see what they say. What do you think? Any additions/subtractions, edits, or even if we should send at all?

Interested in advertising our giveaway of aquarium setup

Pantagraph Advertising Dept.,

Hello. We are CITAC (Central Illinois Aquarium Club), a free and not-for-profit local informational and social club for aquarium enthusiasts based in Bloomington, IL. We are currently trying to get together an aquarium setup (tank, stand, filter, heater, lights, gravel, decorations, etc.) between ourselves through donations from our club members. We would like to then donate the aquarium to a local child care facility in the hopes of giving children the chance to learn about fish and the enjoyment and responsibilities of pet ownership.

We are considering either 1) making a straight-forward donation of the aquarium to a place of our choosing; or 2) somehow advertising our intent and donation, asking interested parties or prospective recipients to contact us. We are not sure at this point which route we want to take, but are considering our options and hope not to make the project too complicated.

We are wondering if it would be possible to somehow either advertise or relay our intention or offer via the Pantagraph once we accomplish getting the aquarium setup together and ready. Would this be possible at either a free or very low cost? And if so, what format would you recommend or offer us, and at what cost, if anything?

We are just brainstorming ideas right now and working on getting this project and the materials together. In addition to giving something to and for the kids, we are also hoping to get some exposure to help local folks know about us, and attract other aquarium enthusiasts to our club for the mutual benefit of all in sharing information, resources, and social interaction.

We look forward to hearing back from you with any information. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidZ Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Becky,

If you want to take the idea and run with it please go ahead.

Again, my intention was just to keep it simple. Most day care centers have over a hundred kids with parents and a couple dozen employees. That's over a hundred potential future aquarium lovers and something that the teachers there can design lessons around, also increasing exposure.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about a contest concept, but again if the majority likes it, that what we will do.

I think the Pantagraph thing is a good idea, but I would think they would want to report on something that has happened and it's impact, not our intention to do something.

Just my thoughts.
DavidZ
DavidZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Katnapper Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 pm

I agree with all.

I guess we just need to get the tank setup together first, and then go from there. Hopefully things will start falling into place with gathering the major components soon.
Katnapper
Katnapper

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Setup Donation Empty promoting the club

Post  egbar guppies Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 am

I have done a bit of club/organization promoting in my past, not fish, but other things. Usually a letter/email sent to the editor or directly to a reporter who you know has done "human interest' stories in the past, just telling what you are trying to accomplish and suggesting a 'human interest' story
will get a nice response. Papers are always looking for this sort of local touch. Contacting local radio and tv stations will often bring an online interview or at least mention of the club. Most papers, local magazines , newsletters and radio or tv stations have a community activity section or time slot. If letters are sent about 2 weeks in advance (guidelines are available from the offices of these institutions) they will run free announcements as a public service. We could have each monthly meeting announced in this way if we set ourselves up to submit the info once a month.
once again I wish I was not moving so far away, it is going to be fun to see this club grow. thank goodness for the internet!

egbar guppies

Back to top Go down

Aquarium Setup Donation Empty donating an aquarium set up

Post  pops48 Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Along with guppies and bettas I have to offer, when the size of the tank is sure, I'll provide a stand. The Champaign fish group has many metal ones that I might be able to choose from and if something else is desired, I can do that too. A wooden cabinet stand would take a little longer. Let me know.
I wonder if a "competition" might end up with a few excellent candidates that we'll be tempted to provide for; I have a very difficult time saying "no" to one request over another.
Maybe a prerequisite would include the recipients doing most of the regular maintenance and the club providing occasional help as needed?
Thanks to everyone's enthusiasm. As we've already seen, we live in a time where it's very hard to honestly commit to one more thing for all of us.

pops48

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down