Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

long fin sword tails

3 posters

Go down

long fin sword tails Empty long fin sword tails

Post  twocat Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:54 pm

I picked up some LF red swords on Aqua bid. They should arrive on Wednesday. I am going to try and breed them with some black swords from Gina in hope of getting some LF swords down the road from this pairing.

I am willing to loan my male out if anyone is interested.

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

long fin sword tails Empty Re: long fin sword tails

Post  twocat Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:17 pm

I know that if a guppy is hit it can produce seveal batches of fry from this, or so I have been told. Is this the same for swordtails?

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

long fin sword tails Empty many sets of babies

Post  pops48 Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:05 pm

All the common livebearers are able to store male sex cells and can then drop several sets of babies from one mating. Since most livebearer males are more noticeable to predators, especially during courting, this ability allows a female to keep the strain going even if a male is not currently available. Since most males can reproduce at just a few months of age, this means that by the time the female no longer has stored sex cells, a new male may be present. This is especially important, as I understand it, for hi fin swords since some of those males with the longest fins can not mate once their fins develop. There has been quite a bit of work to develop breedable males in the hi-fin lines. In the lines with males that cannot breed, a regular male that had a hi-fin mother is used so the offspring have a possible chance of at least 50% hi-fin babies. So if a female hi-fin bred with a capable male hi-fin when they were young she could drop 100% hi-fins for several batches. Hopefully that would happen before you purchased them. Good luck.

pops48

Back to top Go down

long fin sword tails Empty swordtail website

Post  jikin junkie Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:39 pm

Here is some eye candy for ya. http://miamiswordtails.weebly.com/index.html
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:00 pm

Is there any interest in buying some of these from Miami sword. I sent a e mail to this guy and he said from time to time he does sale some. If there is any interest let me know ASAP, I will reply to his e mail tomorrow.

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

long fin sword tails Empty interest

Post  jikin junkie Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:52 pm

I like those red alphas...but that would have to wait till after Christmas. Sad
jikin junkie
jikin junkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content