Central Illinois Tropical Aquarium Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kribs spawning

3 posters

Go down

Kribs spawning Empty Kribs spawning

Post  AlexW. Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 am

My kribs are at it again. They both colored up, the female looked like she swallowed a marble, a couple days later her belly is flat, now she is in the cave while he is chasing everyone away. What is different this time its that I have a cichlid species in the tank that specializes in eating fry (Alto comp sumbu) Any suggestions on how long I should leave them alone and how to get them out without tearing the tank apart.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Kribs spawning Empty Re: Kribs spawning

Post  twocat Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:32 am

Kribs are good parents. The fry do well with the parents. If they are in a community tank I would try to move them to their own tank or you could put up a divider and that would woek, I would leave them with the parents for a couple of weeks. I have left some of mine with the parents for a few months with no problems.

Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 am

I pulled the babies. I did it partially because I don't want them to get slowly picked off by the others in the tank and partially because I know how hard they are to chase down once they are full developed. I felt a little bad though. Mom and Dad started frantically searching the tank for the babies after I pulled them.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:10 am

I pulled 20 and I looked today and they had another half dozen or so. I'm going to leave the rest and see what I end up with.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Post  Siebiscuit Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:13 pm

How did that ever turn out for you? Did the half dozen survive? Sorry, know this is an old post but curious.

Siebiscuit

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexW. Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:10 pm

I put them in a tub and didn't realize I needed an air stone. They overheated and died. I'll try next summer worth what I have learned though.
AlexW.
AlexW.

Back to top Go down

Post  twocat Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:20 pm

That is too bad, If the fry are in a tank with just the parents then you do not need to pull them.
Mark

twocat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down